Monday, August 13, 2012

No Other Refuge

The following quote has been so encouraging to me as I struggle with chronic illness and the daily life of a wife, mother, and homemaker. There is no other refuge but Christ!
Blessed Lord, bend Your pitying eye of love and mercy upon me today. Draw near to me, as I venture once more on praying and on pleading ground.

Alas! O God, how little have I improved the time that is past! I am a wonder to myself, that with all my deep ingratitude and utter vileness--I am yet permitted to approach Your footstool! I have sinned against light and love--warning and mercy--grace and privilege. The retrospect of life--is a retrospect of guilt. I mourn over my manifold shortcomings--the alienation of my heart from You--the fitfulness of my spiritual frames--the ebbings and flowings in the tide of my love. When tried by the lofty and unerring standard of Your Word--how are my best actions and duties marred with defilement! How much self-seeking and self-glorying--and how little animated by the predominating motive of love to You, and singleness of eye to Your service!

Blessed Jesus! I flee anew to the pavilion of Your love! I have no other hope, no other refuge--but in Your finished work--Your matchless atonement--Your spotless righteousness! There is in You, an all-sufficiency for every need. Finite necessities cannot exhaust Infinite fullness. Let me hear Your voice saying, "Your sins, which are many--are all forgiven!"

Transform me more and more into Your own image. May I know more and more, the happiness of true holiness--that I am really blessed in seeking to walk so as to please You. May the power of grace wax stronger and stronger--and the power of sin wax weaker and weaker. May trials and crosses become light and easy to me--when borne in a spirit of meek, unrepining submission to Your Divine will. May this quiet every doubt and misgiving: "Your heavenly Father knows that you have need of all these things!"
~ John Duff, from the book "Evening Incense"
I hope that this encourages you today as well! I pray that the power of His grace may grow stronger and stronger in my heart and in the outworkings of my salvation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts or comments!