Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Weariness

On some days weakness and weariness seem overwhelming. But, Christ is more than enough.

"He will feed His flock like a shepherd. He will carry
 the lambs in His arms, holding them close to His
 heart." Isaiah 40:11

Dwell upon the love and tenderness of our Lord Jesus!

Notice who are the objects of His care--"the lambs,"
which means not only those of tender age--but also
those who have been newly converted; those who are
young in Christian experience; and also those whose
temperament is naturally timid, whose strength is
feeble, and whose danger is great.

Yes, you are the objects of Christ's special attention,
care, and solicitude! You are those whom He takes up
in the arms of His power--and lays on the bosom of His
love! He knows . . .
  your weakness,
  your timidity,
  your dangers!

He will exert for you . . .
  His tenderest sympathy,
  His greatest vigilance,
  His mightiest power.

This expression however not only conveys the idea of
great care of the weak--but the exercise of that care
with a view to their preservation and growth. It means
not only that He cordially receives them, will provide
for their safety, be concerned for their comfort, and
will accommodate His conduct to their needs--but He
will also nourish them through their infant existence,
and raise them up to maturity and strength.

Let every lamb of the flock of Christ, therefore, go to
Him by faith and prayer, and say, "Blessed Jesus, I
come to you as a poor, weak, and trembling creature,
doubtful of my own continuance, and alarmed at my
numerous difficulties and enemies. I am but a lamb,
and often fear I shall never be anything better. But
was it not in regard to such weakness that You have
been pleased to utter these gracious and tender words?
I flee to you as the helpless lamb to its shepherd--when
hungry, to feed it--or when pursued by wild beasts, that
he may defend it. Lord, take me in the arms of Your power
and lay me on the bosom of Your love--though I am so
poor and helpless a creature. I will hope in your nurturing
power and love, that I shall continue to grow, and that
You will one day rejoice in me, as one of the flock which
You have purchased with Your own blood!"


John Angell James, "Christian Progress" 1853

What precious truth! I hope it blesses you as well.

1 comment:

I would love to hear your thoughts or comments!